Thursday 25 February 2016

Mental Health: How To Cope With Depression

Firstly, I wanted to thank all of you for all the amazing support and feedback I received last week when I posted my experience with depression. It honestly means the world to me.

I thought I would follow that post up with some tips on how to cope when you are feeling down. Obviously, I am not a doctor or medical professional but these are just things I have done in order to get by.


1. Talk

I completely understand that when you are feeling down that the last thing in the world that you want to do is talk to someone. It is absolutely okay to have some time for yourself if you do not feel like socializing but if you do it for extended periods of time it actually does more harm than good. It is good to speak to a loved one or a close friend as they can offer you a more realistic perspective to your concerns. I have felt so much better after speaking to my mum or my friends as I feel reassured and able to put whatever overthinking I had done before totally out of my mind. It also helps to feel and remind yourself that you are not alone in your daily battle against yourself and that there is support available if you need it.

2. Read

As a student of English Literature, I think it is really important that everyone reads on a regular basis but I think it certainly is important when you are in a very introspective state of mind. When I am down, I feel totally deflated and void of any motivation and energy so the easiest thing to do is watch television. This is certainly not a long term thing as at some point you may begin to vegetate and, especially if you don't have anything in particular that you want to watch, you have achieved very little. However, if you read a book you are at the very least using your time wisely and reading could help you to escape your own thoughts for a while. It doesn't even have to be anything high brow even young adult books, just as long as you are enjoying the book.


3. Go For a Walk

I find that with my anxiety the thought of leaving the house is totally abhorrent but getting dressed, slapping on some makeup and getting some fresh air slightly alleviates my low mood. Even if you pop to the corner shop for some milk and bread, it is good for you to leave the house. It is not healthy to stay cooped up at home and exercise has been proven to help with low mood. I know that a quick five minute walk is hardly comparable with a gym session but every little helps. In the case of popping out for a couple of minutes, a little bit goes a long way.

4. Avoid Alcohol

Perish the thought! Alcohol is a depressive substance so it is not conducive to improving your mental health in both the long and short term. I know the thought of sobriety and being unable to participate in drunken nights out with your friends sound like such a drag and an annoyance but you will not have a hangover, you will have more money in your pocket and your mood will overall be better. Also, if you are on any medication for your mental illness, it is better that you do not drink. It doesn't mean to say that you should totally restrict yourself and if you fancy a glass of wine or a beer you should have it. I have been back on my medication for a week now and I was at a concert at the weekend and I only had a cider and I was thankful the next morning.

5. Develop a Hobby

Finding and doing something and anything that you enjoy is key to getting on the road to recovery. Finding a hobby means you can enjoy yourself and it makes the dark days a little lighter and easier to pass. This could be anything from something sports related, drawing, colouring etc.


6. Don't Be Hard On Yourself

You are not to blame for how you are feeling - you have an illness. I know that life can feel completely unfair and difficult some days but, as my mum says, the only way is up. If you need to cry, cry. If you feel constantly exhausted, have a nap (I am a massive nap taker myself). Things can only get better and the dark times will come and go but you must not beat yourself up.

I hope that you found this helpful and remember that there is always help available. You are not alone.

Rosh x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I will get back to you as soon as possible.