Sunday 18 January 2015

For The Love of Books - Animal Farm Review



When researching for my blogging project For The Love of Books, I looked at various websites for what are considered to be the classic novels. An author which frequented these lists was George Orwell for both Animal Farm and 1984 (I will review this at a later date). I have various other well known novels to share my thoughts on and suggestions would be welcome too :)




Animal Farm is a classic tale of animals, represented through anthropomorphism, on Animal Farm (previously Manor Farm). The clear theme throughout is political. Through the representation of the animals living in a capitalist society, run by the hated human Mr Jones, they decide to end the injustice that capitalism perpetuates and they plan an uprising. This enables them to run the farm themselves under the premise that all animals are equal and other various commandments promoting similar values, As the novella progresses, it becomes clear that these are not sustainable values. In the end, the head animals behave more and more like the humans they overtook.

Orwell poses very important questions regarding the power struggles present in all societies, both capitalist and communist. I would recommend reading this thought provoking tale while you can.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I will get back to you as soon as possible.